Art 101 Assingments 3, 4 and 5

Hey it took longer than I expected but here's a little more from Professor Outlander's Art 101 class.

As you may remember, this is a class in Image Manipulation and focuses on the using the free software GIMP. Our third assignment was to take an SL photo and reduce it to a more sketch-like image. The tutorial for this is here: http://www.pixel2life.com/viewtutorial/64741/sketch_look_tutorial_in_gimp/  It's not a bad tutorial either.  Considering how often I see ads for "cartoonifying" a photograph, it's not a bad skill to have either.

My first attempt was taken of ladies at the Garden of Evil. There will be a whole story on that place soon. In the mean time, I wasn't really overjoyed with my results and decided to have a go at a self portrait or two.
I tried again and came up with this one. Much better in my opinion, and I turned it in as my homework. I think the program did really well in reducing this to an almost line art image. There is some subtle shading but not nearly so much as in that first. It was a studio shot and I think it turned out great.
But just to show that not every studio shot turns out perfect either, I'm not really happy at all with this one. It may be the pose, or some of the odd shading in the neck, but I just don't like this one as much. If I needed this one I'd be taking it into Photoshop for some serious adjustment myself.
Assignment 4 went onward upward and a little retro. You can read the tutorial here: http://www.pixel2life.com/viewtutorial/51214/using_gimp_to_get_a_warhol_like_effect/  Andy Warhol may be best known for saying "Everyone will be famous for 15 minutes," but his print making and pop art left an indelible mark on America. His bold use of color and repetition is almost immediately recognizable.
This assignment isn't so much about stealing Uncle Andy's work as it is some very basic image manipulation. Done correctly you will end up with a complicated project, but one you understand and can still work with. I played with the zoom on the SL camera some to make sure I got a good look at the Stiletto Moody shoes.

Assignment 5 was as follows, by "now you should know Gimp well enough. Using filters (artistic effects) convert your raw material to an oil painting." This is the part that's not safe for work. It's actually a studio shot with a studio background. We had some fun setting it up, but had to avoid taking pictures of his penis. I won't tell you which of the major manufacturers it came from but I will say it didn't photograph well. My poor model had to go out a research more realistic prims after this shoot.

The last assignment for Art 101 involved making 3 original works as a final exam (hopefully using what you've learned). But that's for another time.

Comments

  1. Nice write-up. I know how good you are in Photoshop and raise a toast to your willingness to play with Gimp.

    Your assignments were all nicely done.

    I downloaded a version of Gimp a couple years ago but back then at least, compared to Photoshop, it was awfully crippled. It's free though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work, darling. Did you want them in the Spring Compendium with a link to your blog?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Art Works